10 January 2009

Home Cooking: Leek, potato and zucchini puff pastries (10 Jan 2009)


I've never used puff pastry before but my new years resolution was to learn to make something with it. I had some leek left over, it was lunchtime, and thought of Leek and Potato Soup and then thought this should be OK perhaps in some puff pastry. So bought some Pampas Puff Pastry, added some greens of zucchini, baby spinach leaves and chives plus seasoning and some fresh rosemary. Cooked the mixture to soften and later added a bit of egg to bind. Carefully made my triangles, popped them in the oven, and prayed it didn't turn into a disaster.

Didn't know how long to cook for so kept checking every 10 mins until golden brown. Worked out to be roughly 20 mins at 220ºC. The egg wash certainly heaps to give a nice golden brown coating.

Leek, potato and zucchini puff pastries served with homemade tzatziki, Chef Leong :-)

3 comments:

Annie said...

These look yummy. I'm surprised you haven't worked with puff pastry before, but maybe that's just because I love the stuff! It makes the best pies!

Antony said...

it looks superb. When do you open a shop take away? because when sometimes i don't feel like cooking, i'd come and get your staff!!

Simon Leong said...

Hi Annie, I'm a virgin pastry puffer but it was fun and simple so I have 9 sheets left to go and practice.

Hi Tonioz, when we have another cooking night I hope to make some cheese and spinach ones for you.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map