11 August 2011

Janus: Cafe with a side of public art, Sydney (25 July 2011)

Retail 1 & 2, 1 Bligh Street, Sydney NSW 2000
Phone: (02) 9223 3997


A coffee with an arty view

Janus has set up two coffee shops in one of the latest and greatest CBD buildings, 1 Bligh. The rounded building is quite impressive and the best views are seen from within looking up through the skyward atrium. A large public art sculpture sits outside which you'd be hard pressed to miss. My hot chocolate ($4, pictured above) is perhaps a bit on the milky side and I would have preferred it to be more chocolatey but the service was friendly and efficient. The seating is quite comfy although the tables are on the small side so a little hard to have a coffee meeting with four people unless you join two together. There's quite a few tempting pastries and colourful macarons on offer which I only noticed after having my hot chocolate. The service counter is rather hidden internally by a large wall which can also cause a blind spot for service. The noise factor seemed to be OK due to probably the vast internal space absorbing the sound.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Interesting space, Friendly and professional service, Tempting cakes and pastries, Comfy seating
CONS: Smallish tables which are good for having meetings with paperwork, Wall behind cafe creates a blind spot for service attention
MUST TRY: The macarons and pastries next time


Colourful macarons

Tarts and museli


Pastries

Sugar and table water

Service counter


Seating with a view

Rounded building with an atrium


A spot of public art



Outside coffee shop


View Larger Map
Janus on Urbanspoon

9 comments:

Tina@foodboozeshoes said...

Purty new building :) Not a fan of the 'art' out the front though

Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi said...

It's such a stunning building. Shame about the hot chocolate - not enough chocolate is the ultimate sin in my books!

didyousaykitten said...

Hi Simon, after seeing the macarons in your photos I just had to go visit my friend who works in this new building :) They now have an extended menu which my friend said only started this week, including pizzas (about $15), salads and desserts. Would highly recommend the roast potato pizza :) Service was also very attentive despite the large wall! Have promised my friend I'll visit her again... :)

Simon Leong said...

hi tina, the art takes a bit of getting used to doesn't it.

hi keely, not many buildings like this in the city.

hi didyousaykitten, good to hear about the new menu and the service was good. thanks for the update :-)

Barbara said...

The pizzas are excellent and the macarons to die for!! Simon I think you need to go back and try again this time have a pizza and macaron. The service was excellent and not wanting for anything. Great new place - I'll be back!

Simon Leong said...

hi barbara, thanks for the pizza recommendation. will keep in mind for next time :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Simon, I have also been to Janus for breakfast a couple of times. My last visit I tried the Organic five-grain porridge with carmelised banana & rhubarb...delicious!!!

Simon Leong said...

hi Anonymous, thanks for the recommendation. i'll have to remember for next time.

Anonymous said...

Personally I didn't like it, I thought the coffee was quite average, although the food was quite nice. But the customer service was rather difficult, I found the service to be slow and rude, And I am usually a really patient customer, and many of the waitresses I could not understand due to their poor English.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map