15 October 2014

Make your own Magnum at Westfield Sydney (29 Aug 2014)

Westfield Sydney, Cnr Pitt St & Market St, Sydney NSW 2000


Celebrating 25 years of pleasure

Who on earth is crazy enough to queue up and pay $8 for a Magnum ice cream these days? Sadly I am. And the reason why, well, because you can and it makes me happy. I do love my Magnum ice creams and of course I could have simply gone to a supermarket and bought a pack of 4 for less but then I wouldn't have had the chance pick my four customised toppings and make it all special-like with a drizzle of chocolate. My customised Dark Chocolate Coated Magnum topped with Roasted Hazelnuts, Roasted Pistachios, Honeycomb Pieces, Rose Petals and drizzled with White Chocolate ($8) was a winner in my eyes. Flavours thankfully worked well together but if they didn't work it would have been all my fault for picking them.

I visited last year when the Magnum Sydney Pleasure Store popped up in Westfield Sydney for the first time. Price then was $7 so it's gone up $1. Like last year I found the chocolate coating not as frozen hard and a bit soft so when you're biting into it it doesn't have that snap you get from a Magnum straight out of the freezer. A blast chiller for 60 seconds might do the trick. Toppings were more generous this time although it can make it more awkward and messier to eat. Magnum Sydney at Westfield Sydney runs 26 August to 19 October 2014 so this is the last week you'll have a chance to line up and make your own creation or just save your money and keep to those standard ones you can get anywhere.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Friendly and helpful service, Sugar hit yes please, Customise your own Magnum
CONS: Costs more than a normal Magnum, Limited time, Queues can be long
MUST TRY: Just for the fun of it
VERDICT: For those who simply must create their own magnum creation










My Dark Chocolate Coated Magnum topped with Roasted Hazelnuts, Roasted Pistachios, Honeycomb Pieces, Rose Petals and drizzled with White Chocolate ($8)






The chocolate coating is a bit softer than normal so it can make it a bit messier to eat when it starts falling apart when biting












View Larger Map

3 comments:

Sara | Belly Rumbles said...

Up a buck from last year! Now that's inflation for you. I always say, if you like it then do it.

Amanda @ Gourmanda said...

I tried it again this year as well, and was disappointed again with the shell. I think the blast freezer is a great idea - hopefully they consider something like that next time around.

Blaise @ One Fork Two Fork said...

Have been meaning to try this the queues are always so long! Definitely going to make a date for it for it now - your toppings look so tasty!

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map