08 April 2013

McDonald's: The New York Classic burger, Randwick (7 April 2013)

Shop 20, Royal Randwick Shopping Centre
73 Belmore Road, Randwick NSW 2031

Not the New York I remember

“Juicy beef smothered in a bold Mustard Mayo with cheese, lettuce, pickles and onions inside a big bun topped with sesame seeds, chilli flakes and chives. Taste the 'Big Apple' in a bun.”

Occasionally I'll get a Mac Attack on a lazy weekend when I can't be bothered to make any other choices for lunch — guilty as charged. This time around The Tastes of America range limited edition was on offer so I picked The New York Classic ($4.95). I've been to NYC but can't really understand why this burger would be called a New York Classic. I'd probably consider the ShackBurger at Shake Shack to be my idea of a New York style burger. The meat is cooked medium and the soft bun melts in your mouth albeit oily. This can't really be achieved with such a comparatively thin meat patty and I doubt McDonald's would ever cook it like this anyway as customers would think it's not cooked properly. The New York Classic was more of a Quarter Pounder sized Big Mac but with a different sauce and bun. I thought the bun was a bit dry and tasteless and the meat patty not particularly juicy but the mustard mayo sauce became the hero of the burger to give back some moisture and flavour. I think if they made a Cheeseburger sized burger with a Quarter Pounder thick meat pattie and added some lettuce and mustard mayo then this would be more of a New York burger for me.

PROS: Available everywhere but only for a limited time, Sauce helped add moisture and flavour to the burger
CONS: Never looks like the promotional posters, Perhaps not the healthiest thing to eat for lunch
MUST TRY: Might try the Smoky Texan Burger or California Chicken next time if still available
VERDICT: Wasn't quite what I was thinking a New York Classic burger would be like but I'm always curious to try the latest themed burgers from McDonald's
The New York Classic ($4.95)

View Larger Map
McDonald's - Randwick on Urbanspoon


milkteaxx said...

ive never been attracted by maccas themed burgers because it is always so different from what you expect it to be!

Simon Leong said...

hi milkteaxx, i think you might be on to something there. :-)

Eva said...

I love your Maccas reviews, very accurate. :)

I think the poor appearance of the burgers are a worldwide problem, even Japan's look imperfect! (Check this out: http://japan-australia.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/teritama-burger.html)

Simon Leong said...

hi eva, a worldwide problem indeed — first world problem hehe. love the link. someone should do a blog on just takeaway food and the reality of what you get :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map

View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map