08 April 2015

The Traditional Chip Shop: Fish & Chips, The Spot, Randwick (26 March 2015)

49-55 Saint Pauls Street, Randwick NSW 2031


Hitting the spot for chips

"We are currently serving Sydney with authentic traditional Irish and British Fish & Chips plus all the trimmings you'd expect to see in a 'Chipper' back HOME!"

A sudden craving hot chips was satisfied with a visit on their first day of opening for some of their freshly peeled and prepared Chips ($5 regular size). A good sized portion to share between two as we watched My Kitchen Rules and better value than the $4.50 small size which would have been about half the amount. I liked the hand cut look and thought the flavour was good especially with some salt and vinegar. I generally prefer my chips crispy but once they had travelled back home in the paper wrapping they'd become a bit soft and sweaty. Apparently this is the way some people really like them and is more authentic than the crispy chips I'm so used to. I'll probably need to dine in if I want to enjoy the chips a bit crispy and crunchy. There's a fair amount of seating and the space and fitout looks pretty good. I've been to the Bondi Junction store for a burger and chips but it's a much smaller shop with limited dine in seating. While passing by on Good Friday I spotted a poster advertising their Official Opening happening on Thursday 9 April from 7 pm til 10 pm. Special guest will be Celebrity Chef Colin Fassnidge who'll be up for selfies and there's prizes to be won including vouchers to dine at Colin Fassnidge's restaurant Four in Hand or 4Fourteen.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Lots of ways on the menu to have your chips, Quite an extensive menu
CONS: Parking can be a challenge in the area
MUST TRY: Chips if you like them hand cut and a bit soft. Revisiting to try the Fish & Chips and working out what a "Paul's Jammy Wotsit" is on the menu
VERDICT: Promising to be the be all and end all of authentic traditional Irish and British Fish & Chips is a big call and time will tell how they fare. There's plenty of Irish and English in the area so I'm sure they'll be loving the addition to the area.


Freshly peeled and prepared Chips ($5 regular size)

Chips getting a little sweaty and sticky once arrived as takeaway











Opening hours. Note: the 12 pm has since been corrected to 12 am






Good Friday was busy




Official opening with Celebrity Chef Colin Fassnidge Thursday 9 April 7–10 pm



View Larger Map
The Traditional Chip Shop @ Randwick on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just added this to my To Eat List :) I am desperate for some hand-cut chips - these look so good! I want ALL the cheesy chips - I wouldn't be able to choose!!

Nichole said...

Even though I'm not a kid, but would like to start my meal with Jumbo Battered Sausage :D afterwards, Meatballs in Onion Gravy, Mushy Peas so Yummy!!! Traditional Irish and British Fish & Chips is a good start too...

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map