11 February 2012

McDonald's: $1 Cheeseburger Deal, Randwick (11 Feb 2012)

Shop 20, Royal Randwick Shopping Centre
73 Belmore Road, Randwick NSW 2031



Half the price or twice as much

I'm not sure why McDonald's has a discount pricing fetish for cheeseburgers of late but for fans they'll sure be taking advantage of the deals. It was only a month ago I tried the Double Cheeseburger for $2 and now you can get a normal Cheeseburger for $1 between 12-1 pm for a limited time. That means an extra bun, extra mustard, extra ketchup, extra onion and an extra pickle to throw up at the ceiling if you don't like them (which used to happen in the old days) — plus the extra calories of course. Some may think I shouldn't be eating these at all, including my mum who thinks my cholesterol is too high, but this blog is not only about the good but also the bad and the ugly. Also my willpower to resist things that a ridiculously cheap fails me sometimes when I should know better. I'll leave it up to you to decide which category the long-standing cheeseburger falls into in your world. In any case I think they used to taste better when I first worked at McDonald's at the age of 15 and up. Perhaps it was because I was young and naive and loved the taste but now they taste less juicy and more processed and lacking tasty flavour. Do I regret eating it — no. Should I eat a sustainable organic salad that supports local farmers instead — yes. Will I eat a $1 cheeseburger again — probably not, but if the bring out a cheap Triple Cheeseburger then that might be another story.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Very cheap, Plenty of locations, Available 10.30 til 11 pm
CONS: Not particularly healthy, Tastes rather processed, Deal available only for a limited time until end of Feb, It's hard to resist ordering fries as well, Limit 4 per transaction
MUST TRY: Avoiding to eat too much fast food

$1 Cheeseburgers

Double staking the cheeseburgers

McDonald's advertisement from Facebook group

8 comments:

Miss Kimbers said...

Haha :) Even though I dislike McDonalds, I always like your McDonald posts:)
I wonder if they will place more burgers onto the $1 menu. In Germany a few years back they had 1 Euro cheeseburgers, fish burgers and chicken burgers all day, every day. I ate too many! But it was soooo cheap!

Eccles said...

I think it is available all day (after the breakfast menu is closed). That's another pro or con, depending on whether you like your fast food. :)

Sara - Belly Rumbles said...

I am wondering when we will get a permanent $1 deal menu like they have the the USA. When I first saw that over there, to be honest, I found it quite scary. If you have watched Food Inc, it all makes sense why people eat at places like Maccas instead of purchasing fresh food to eat at home. Low incomes and it is affordable. Actually anybody reading my comment, if you haven't watched Food Inc I really suggest you do. My greatest fear is we will become like the USA in a food manufacture and production.

I think the deal actually runs from 10.30am after breakfast finishes and there is a limit of 4 burgers per order. I picked some up the other day on the way back in the office for cheap lunch. Spent $4 and feed two people. It is scary how well they microwave :(

I am not a big maccas fan, but I was in the car, in a rush, not much else around and it was cheap as chips ;p

Elle said...

I think it's great that you review such a variety of food outlets, not just cafes, restaurants, pubs etc. Makes for a great variety of reviews! Keep it up!

Vivian - vxdollface said...

i know the double cheeseburger is cheaper than the regular cheeseburger cause on the website it says the regular one is made from 100% aussie beef so i assume the $1 cheeseburgers are from imported beef :S

Sara - Belly Rumbles said...

Hi Vivian, I am pretty sure McDonalds aren't using imported beef just for their $1 cheeseburgers, I think you are safe. When you think about it, does not make sense to use different beef patties for different cheese burgers burgers. Plus you need to take in to consideration our beef import situation. This is just a promotion to get people to eat more McDonalds.

Also McDonalds in the USA actually imports Aussie and NZ beef to fill their quota when US supplies can't keep up the demand.

Tina @ bitemeshowme said...

AS unhealthy as they are, sometimes we have to admit that the price is just too hard to not buy one :) esp when you are hungry and want a snack for $1. No complaints here

Simon Leong said...

hi miss kimbers, there's always a possibility for more crazy priced burgers at McDonald's with there buying power.

hi eccles, you are correct. thanks for the correction. i was thinking it was the same conditions as their $2 Doublecheeseburger when i first saw the TV ad.

hi sara, i've watched Food Inc and loved it. such an eye opener about GM products and scary too. thanks for corrections on the time and limit info.

hi elle, i try not to discriminate on my blog. it's all about my food adventure and a personal account of what I've eaten. it may not be the best food at times but it's a record of where i've been and what i've eaten. thanks for your support.

hi vivian, i think they still use the same Australian beef unless you have documentation to say otherwise?

hi sara, i think you may be right. perhaps McDonald's can make a comment about this?

hi tina, i'm sure the guilty convenience and ridiculous price has struck many foodies :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map