07 October 2009

Alanna's: Cupcakes, Bondi Junction (20 Sept 2009)

Shop 2, Royal Arcade
175-181 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction NSW 2022


Sweet tooth tapas

Here's another place to add to the fierce cupcake competition that seems to be sweeping Sydney — we are certainly spoilt for choice. It's a relatively new comer and has only been opened for about 6 weeks I believe when I visited. When confronted with so many choices I'm usually overwhelmed with which one to pick, I want to try them all! I liked the taste of the Tiramisu cupcake ($2) pictured above out of the choices today. I estimate the size of these cupcakes are about half of a normal sized cupcake. I found the cupcake base was maybe a little drier than hoped. I think it would be hard to find a cupcake which is light, moist and fluffy after it's already been sitting in a cabinet for longer than freshly baked and topped.

Date pudding cupcake $2

Dark chocolate cupcake $2

Lemon meringue cupcake $2

Take away packaging

The cupcakes











Cupcake display

Bread display

Cakes display

The cupcake menu



View Larger Map

11 comments:

aptronym said...

Shame about the dryness etc but at any rate they are cheaper than most of the cupcake places seem to be.

BiteMe said...

O my god they are a work of art!
Have you heard of Hummingbird Bakery in London? I think it might be a great rival this side of the hemisphere.
Great blog!
Check out my blog if you ever venture to the UK
www.tastinglondon.blogspot.com

chocolatesuze said...

ooh the date pudding sounds tasty!

YaYa said...

Extremely thorough research, well done! I believe I can make a selection based on your photos alone! Looks like they're all about the topping and not the cake but very pretty though.

EdibleMarie said...

Wow. Crazy cupcakin'.

*salivate*

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Ahh what a pity about the cake itself but they do look rather pretty. The prices are very good though! That's like last century's cupcake prices :P

nursemyra said...

the date pudding looks irresistible

Brenda said...

I'm so going here! They look so beautiful....you have me craving their cupcakes....you always do this to me hahahaha!

Simon Leong said...

hi aptronym, the ones i had weren't too dry but could have been a bit better. depends on timing i guess. i thought they were pretty cheap too compared to others around.

hi biteme, i haven't heard of Hummingbird Bakery but hope to try one day when visiting London. will check out your blog when trying to find a good place to eat in London too.

hi chocolatesuze, seems to be a popular choice for many.

hi yaya, hope i haven't spoiled the surprise of visiting.

hi ediblemarie, too many choices, so little time.

hi lorraine, it's good to find a decent priced cupcake for that little sugar hit.

hi nursemyra, you'll have to give it a try. interesting blog you have there too. good flower arrangements are certainly a useful skill to have in the family.

hi brenda, looking forward to hearing what you try :-)

Catherine said...

I have yet to find a better cupcake from a shop than that from http://www.thecupcakeroom.com.au but I haven't tried these: http://www.ghermez.com.au - they look pretty amazing too!

Simon Leong said...

hi catherine, i'll need to try the cupcake room, website looks great. i've heard of ghermez but yet to try as well.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map