02 March 2010

Home Cooking: Chicken in Foil Dinner with Canned Mushroom Soup (2 Mar 2010)


Simple, Cheap and Tasty

There's three rules I strive for when cooking something at home — Simple, Cheap and Tasty. I'm a huge fan of wrapping fish in foil and baking in the oven and tonight I was thinking if the same could be applied to chicken. A quick Google search of 'chicken in foil' brings me to a Cooks.com recipe of using a can of mushroom soup. Sounded gross at first but then realised chicken and mushroom is a classic so it should work. So I bought chicken breast and a can of Campbell's Velish Creamy Field Mushroom with Cracked Pepper soup along with some brussel sprouts, green beans and button mushrooms. Worked out really well and the chicken was nice and tender and full of flavour. Another successful easy recipe to add to the dinner menu.

Recipe - Serves 2, 45 mins
2 chicken breasts - 500g
1 Campbell's Velish Sensations Creamy Field Mushroom 500g
8 button mushrooms - thinly sliced
4 brussel sprouts - remove stalk, leaves separated
16 green beans - tips cut off
Salt, Pepper, Thyme herbs

Simply place the chicken breast on foil, season with salt, pepper and thyme. Cover with thinly sliced mushrooms. Pour over about 100g of Campbell's Velish Creamy Field Mushroom to cover the chicken and mushrooms. Wrap and seal the foil into a neat parcel.

Place on a tray and cook in the oven for 45 minutes at 250 degrees — according to my old oven anyway. Cook the rest of the soup and serve as an appetiser while waiting for the chicken to cook.

Prepare beans and brussel sprout leaves and cook in boiling water. Was about 5 minutes first for the beans and then added the brussel sprout leaves for another 3 minutes. I then placed them quickly in iced water, drained and then steamed them back on top of the boiling water to warm them up a bit before serving.

Be careful when opening the chicken in foil. Place chicken on top of nicely arranged beans and brussel sprout leaves and spoon mushrooms and sauce on top of chicken. Serve and enjoy.

Campbell's Velish Creamy Field Mushroom with Cracked Pepper soup


Chicken and Mushroom with Brussel Sprouts and Green Beans, Chef Leong :-)

6 comments:

3 hungry tummies said...

Looks really good! I wouldn't know there are canned soup involved lol

Anonymous said...

I like This! It reminds me of a recipe of using canned mushroom soup & roast chicken pot pie. Dead easy but absolutely delicious.

theopett said...

Fantastic never would have imagined how easy it would be I am trying it on Thursday thanks!

mike@scallopsandpancetta said...

I must say I had my doubt when I read "Canned Mushroom Soup" in the title, but the end result looks pretty tasty. For a midweek dinner it seems nice, but I still can't help thinking home-made mushroom soup could be much tastier?

Still, great post and I'm a huge fan of foil-baked fish too - never yet tried chicken.

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

This is a fantastic idea Simon! I'm going to give this a whirl!

Simon Leong said...

hi 3 hungry tummies, i reckon if you served it to dinner guests they wouldn't know either. ;-)

hi ellie, i love dead easy recipes.

hi theopett, hope it goes well for you this thursday for dinner :-) be sure to take a photo for me.

hi mike, i wouldn't know where to start for home made mushroom soup but i reckon that would even be better so you know what's exactly in it

hi peter, looking forward to seeing your results when you get a chance to try it :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map