25 April 2012

Park Bench: Pop Up Cafe, CBD Sydney (23 Apr 2012)

580 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000



Two black sheep pop into a cafe

While casually passing by Park Bench on George Street I was suddenly caught in a fierce downpour which sealed my fate to seek refuge and stay for lunch. The owners of Two Black Sheep have created a temporary pop up cafe bringing with it a bit of Newtown warmth and quirkiness, or dare I say it Melbourne creativity and resourcefulness. I choose the first listed menu item of Steveo's Stack ($11.50) described as Dad's old classic, sliced avocado, fresh tomato, feta, balsamic vinegar, sea salt & pepper on organic sourdough. Apparently the bread is from Brasserie Bread so you know it'll be good. The ingredients were fresh and flavour combination a classic although I would have loved a bit more char grilling on the bread for some extra smokiness and a touch more feta. I also found myself needing to arrange the avocado and tomato on the bread so I could eat it like a brushchetta — perhaps this could be done in the kitchen so it becomes a more ready to eat dish? My Cappuccino ($3.50) was ordered without sugar which passed my coffee drinkability test. Hardly any bitterness and a nice depth of flavour with a rounded taste of creaminess without being too watery. I reckon they'd do a pretty decent affogato for next time to go with the cinnamon waffle that's calling my name.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Decent coffee, Friendly staff, Fresh ingredients on the sandwich, Interesting decor for the area, Tempting selection of gelato on display but seems a little pricey
CONS: Outside seating is a bit exposed to wet weather, Doesn't seem to be a toilet available as part of the cafe, Sitting on a crate might get a little uncomfortable after a while
MUST TRY: Coffee and returning to try a dessert
Steveo's Stack: Dad's old classic, sliced avocado, fresh tomato, feta, balsamic vinegar, sea salt & pepper on organic sourdough ($11.50) 

Cappuccino ($3.50)
WORTH TRYING :-)

Table water and cute flower pot table number








Park benches on the ceiling — so Melbourne
Tips = Good Karma
Two Black Sheep coffee beans
Family photos



Two Black Sheep coffee shop downstairs

View Larger Map
Park Bench on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

Sara - Belly Rumbles said...

I really miss working in town. I miss out on all these fun little pop ups that seem to pop up :)

SarahKate (Mi Casa-Su Casa) said...

That avo / feta / tomato stack looks like my ideal breakfast! What a great start to a day.

Unknown said...

I tried their lemon cheesecake gelato a week ago and it was the best gelato I've ever had! Including the gelato in Italy!!

Hope they stay for a while!

Julie said...

those crate chairs are very innovative I must say :). The stack looks delish!

L said...

I had the gelato platter for 2 about a month ago while killing time waiting for The Hunger Games. Such good value for money. Loved the lime sorbet.

Shall try the cappucino next time :D

Simon Leong said...

hi sara, it keeps the place interesting that's for sure.

hi sarahkate, pretty healthy too

hi brooke, that sounds like a very interesting flavour. i'll have to check them out again.

hi julie, thankfully the crates have cushions on them to make them more comfortable too

hi L, wow gelato platter, i think i need to put that on my wish list now

Nic@diningwithastud said...

OK, heading here Monday

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map