11 January 2013

Frankie's Pizza: Italian-themed bar, CBD Sydney (11 Jan 2013)

50 Hunter Street, Sydney NSW 2000


Frankie goes to underground

I was very sad when I found out Frankie's Pizza had taken over one of my favourite cheap and cheerful lunch time eating holes of Bò 7 Món THANH TÂM Vietnamese restaurant as part of the Hunter Bar. Where will I get my crispy chicken now? It's quite amazing how the place has now been transformed into a warm and cosy underground bar just like The Baxter Inn. The guys behind this really have a knack for creating unique spaces that are welcoming, interesting and exciting to be in. The service behind the bar was friendly and fun and you could tell they enjoyed working there and wanting to make sure you were having a good time as much as they were. With a fly by visit for a friend's birthday drinks I tried their signature Frozen Margarita ($10, pictured above). My hopes weren't high for something mass produced in a machine but it wasn't too bad considering I'm not a huge fan of margaritas or tequila for that matter. A bit on the small side but had noticeable alcohol. Maybe alcoholic slurpees are the way forward for faster service in bars. I wish I could have stayed longer but I hope to visit again to check out more of the drinks, pizzas and all the quirky photos and raunchy gig posters plastered around the walls.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Friendly bar service, Cosy and interesting decor, Pinball machines, Lots of seating, Easy to find compared to all those other hidden small bars in town
CONS: They only seem to have one cocktail on the menu, Not open during the day, No website or online menu at the time of visiting
MUST TRY: Revisiting to try the pizza
VERDICT: After only 5 minutes this bar had me hooked in checking out all the wall photos. Friendly bar staff oozing sincere smiles is so far the biggest drawcard to return for an after work cheeky drinky.
Front bar

Fun loving bar staff



One for the boys. They also seem to have bottles of chilli oil?

Should really be cocktail not cocktails?
Retro dining

Main bar and seating

Cosy booths to settle in for the night

I wonder if the 18 year olds will know what these are?


I seem to have discovered the XXX rated wall

I don't know who they are but they bid you farewell as you leave





View Larger Map
Frankie's Pizza on Urbanspoon

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I was just looking at this place! It is so close to work and hello $10 frozen drinks - i am sold.

Anonymous said...

It's all about the the beer Simon- Australian and o/s craft beers that are hard to find just about anywhere.

Simon Leong said...

hi shanshan, hopefully you'll get to check it out soon

hi anonymous, thanks for the tip. i'll be sure to check out the craft beers on offer next time :-)

MAB vs Food said...

I love this place!! Brings me back to the 80s... And of course the pizzas are awesome.

bob @ jugernauts said...

Just posted my review. Love Frankies. Really good food and drinks. :) I really dig it

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map