30 January 2010

Chef's Armoury: Professional Knife Sharpening Service, Rosebery (30 Jan 2010)

Shop 251, 747 Botany Road, Rosebery NSW 2018
http://www.chefsarmoury.com


Finally sharp knives again

I've been using my set of Mundial knives for about nine years now and have not sharpened them once until today and what a difference it makes. They used to struggle cutting a tomato but now they slice them beautifully and it even makes a scary 'Freddy Krueger' slicing sound on the wooden cutting board which I've never heard before — probably because it's been so long since they were actually sharp. The Chef's Armoury provide a same day service which is good if you just want to drop them off and pick them up later in the day. They also have knife sharpening classes and food tasting events which I hope to check out like the Wagyu Tasting Event, oh yeah! Hopefully I won't take as long to sharpen them next time because it makes such a difference having super sharp knives — check out my video of the paper cutting test below.

Other visits to Chef's Armoury:
19 June 2010 - Japanese Stocks and Soups
15 May 2010 - How to make Takoyaki (fried balls of octopus)
27 Mar 2010 - Wagyu Tasting
30 Jan 2010 - Professional Knife Sharpening Service

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Friendly and professional same day service
CONS: Finding time to get to the store
MUST TRY: Wagyu Tasting Event

Water cooled sharpening stones used

Chop and knives display


Shop front

Classes

Free events

My new sharpened knives

Top: New sharpened knife, Bottom: Old knife unsharpened

Prices: less than 10 cm $8, 10 to 18 cm $11, 18-26 cm $15

The sharpness test



View Larger Map

7 comments:

YaYa said...

Wow, you really can see the difference!

joey@forkingaroundsydney said...

I don't like sharp knives. I once stabbed myself in the hand about a centimetre deep the morning of a plane trip to Melbourne .... I still went though!

Catherine said...

I've been meaning to get my knives sharpened professionally for years! The classes look really cool too.

Simon Leong said...

hi yaya, it's quite amazing i've managed all this time without sharpening. i guess you get used to blunt knives after a while.

hi joey, is this a case of the user blaming the tools HEHE ;-). i know what you mean though. they can be scary things. i remember the first episode of Masterchef when they had the cutting onions test and so many of them were cutting themselves because the knives were razer sharp. i didn't have to worry about this with my blunt knives but now i'll need to be a bit more conscious and careful.

hi catherine, let me know if you end up going to the classes. i'm a bit too lazy so would rather someone sharpen them for me :-)

Anonymous said...

i got my knives sharpened just before christmas from this guy in the north shore. Sydney Wide Instant Sharpening Service. A $4.00 each, it's 1/4 of the price. Only need to get them done once a year. He says that he had been doing it for over 20 years, so he must know what he is doing, and they are razor sharp. Ever better, he comes to my home to do it.

Anonymous said...

Just saw the last post, i agree, that persons name is Stuart. I have been using him for about 5 years now. if anyone wants to call him, 0418252276
He actually comes to your home and does it. I must say, my knives stay sharp for over a year, so i only need him every 14 -15 months. And $4.00 per knife very cheap, but he has a pretty good machine in his van when i looked at it, and very quick, he took only 20 minutes to do about 18 knives. Anyway worth a try, beats paying $15per knife.

Simon Leong said...

hi Anonymous, thanks for the extra contact. could come in handy. home service sounds very convenient.

hi adamwest1, thanks for the details. much appreciated. :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map