14 March 2010

Bairro Português: Petersham Food & Wine Fair, Petersham (14 Mar 2010)

Audley and Fisher Streets, Petersham NSW 2049
Sunday 14 March 2010, 10 am - 6 pm
http://www.marrickville.nsw.gov.au/events/bairro.htm


Great community event

Whilst strolling through the festival it was hard not to feel compelled to try the yummy smelling BBQ sardines and meats on offer. Alas my stomach was already full from a quick bite at Silvas for some Portuguese charcoal chicken ($4) and a Portuguese tart ($2) from La Patisserie — the two most Portuguese food items I seem to only know. The event looked like lots of fun filled with many locals and I was really thinking they'd be a cheeky Turkish Gozleme stall somewhere amongst it but not this time. Although there was a Poffertjes Dutch Pancake stall run by Chinese which made me laugh — what's Dutch pancakes got to do with Portugal? I also spotted a Seafood Paella stall which seems to be becoming just as popular as the Turkish Gozleme at festivals — last time I tried it at Fair Day.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Family friendly, free entertainment
CONS: Weather permitting, limited parking
MUST TRY: BBQ sardines next time

BBQ sardines

Capoeira demonstrations


Poffertjes Dutch Pancake stand — HEHE

Accordion band

Seafood Paella stall




View Larger Map

9 comments:

john@heneedsfood said...

Funny, those gozleme stands are everywhere you look. As much as I love poffertjes I'm questioning why they made an appearance at a Portuguese event.
The food looks great and I'm sure it smelt good as well!

YaYa said...

err, lessee, both the Dutch and the Portugeuse were great colonising countries in the 18th century and Macau (now part of China) was once a Portugeuse colony - that takes care of the Chinese poffertjes, I'm still working out how we can get the Turks in there so we can campaign for a gozleme stall next year, hehe!

nomnomnibblies said...

mmmm....poffertjes!!! except having them at a portuguese event does seem kind of random hehe :P
and yeh! paella stalls do seem to be everywhere now :O which i guess is a good thing because we love paella!!

Myriam @ Detours said...

Yummy - I so need to go next time, I love Portuguese food!! And I've been wanting to try the Portuguese tarts over at Sweet Belem for ever...

Lorraine @NotQuiteNigella said...

All that delicious food-how wonderful! :D

Portuguese kitchen said...

Hi Simon.Love the post about the Portuguese Food & Wine Fair.I have a blog that's fairly new,started it because I caught glandular fever & haven't been able to leave the house for a while.Saw your blog on Not quite Nigella & saw the post. Do you mind if I post your blog site to my site so my readers read you post on the fair,as this year I couldn't make it,maybe next year,when I'm better.

Simon Leong said...

hi john, i'm still scratching my head about this one. they seem to have had a big war many years ago so perhaps it's got something to do with this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch–Portuguese_War

hi yaya, thanks for the insight. i'm sure you'll be able to work out how the turkish can be part of the festival next year hehe

hi nonnomnibblies, paella is the new turkish gozleme :-)

hi myriam, you'll have to do a taste test of sweet belem and la patisserie around the corner and let me know which one you like best :-)

hi lorraine, nothing beats the smell of a good portuguese BBQ cookup :-)

hi Portuguese kitchen, thanks for reading my blog. hopefully you'll be better for next year. please feel free to share my blog with your readers. i hope many of them managed to get there on Sunday. :-)

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Thanks for visiting my newbie blog =)
I saw this in the newsletter that the council sends out to all the households, however, due to already stuffing myself silly at Madeira Grill Friday night and then all that food at Taste of Sydney, I think my body would not have forgiven me if I had gone and eaten some more! I mentioned it to the boyfriend and got a one word answer "No". I'm thankful I listened, perhaps next year!

Simon Leong said...

hi angielivestoeat, sounds like you had a great weekend of eating! thanks for checking out my blog too! :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map