20 March 2010

Home cooking: Australia's best bacon with Tetsuya's creamed corn scrambled eggs (20 Mar 2010)

Schulte's Meat Tavern
4424 Warrego Hwy, Plainland QLD 4341


Australia's Best Bacon & Chef

I've really been looking forward to cooking up my Schulte's Meat Tavern Bacon Rashers which I received at the Bacon Week Launch this week — they were judged as Australian's best bacon. In honor of cooking up the best bacon I thought of combining it with one of Australia's best chef recipes. I recently read about the Tetsuya's Electrolux Masterclass on The Stone Soup and how he demonstrated using creamed corn with scrambled eggs. I totally forgot about including ricotta and Parmesan but nevertheless I was happy with the tasty result. I used Popes Vegetarian Free Range Eggs with Golden Circle Creamed Corn. There were still some corn kernels present in the mix but they gave a bit of a nice texture to the bite. I used two tablespoons with four eggs.

Other pork products sampled:
Prosciutto - San José Smallgoods
Guanciale - Campisi's Continental Butchery
Rosemary pancetta - Montecatini Speciality Smallgoods
Bacon Rashers - Schulte's Meat Tavern

Schulte's Meat Tavern Bacon Rashers ready for grilling

Golden Circle Creamed Corn and Popes Free Range eggs

Popes Vegetarian Free Range Eggs $4.99 800g (Royal Randwick Fruitmarket)



Creamed corn scrambled eggs with crispy bacon, Chef Leong :-)

9 comments:

Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul said...

I agree...the corn texture does stay in the scrambled egg mixture but it's kind of nice...Love bacon and eggs!

Bean Sprout's Cafe said...

The crackling bacon skin looks tempting.. and oh, corn scrambled eggs... I might try :D

Simon Leong said...

hi peter, i hope to use some ricotta and parmesan next time to see how it tastes.

hi bean sprout's cafe, looking forward to hearing how you go. i don't think it needs much creamed corn as it's quite strong on taste.

Trissa said...

I've been really wary about adding creamed corn to scrambled eggs but everyone seems to be raving about it. I think I may just have to try it one day!

Simon Leong said...

hi trissa, gotta try it at least once but don't forget to add the ricotta and parmesan and don't use too much cream corn otherwise it might be too strong and overpowering and take away the taste of the egg :-)

Sarah Winehouse said...

AHHHH!! I got to stop looking at food blogs at nighttime! Makes me so hungry even when i'm full!!

Simon Leong said...

hi sarah, HEHE, me too. but as long as the dreams are about food that's got to be a good thing :-)

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Have read about Tetsuya's method of scrambled eggs with creamed corn but am yet to try it. Scrambled eggs with ricotta are definately yummilicious!

Simon Leong said...

hi angie, great to hear it's a winning combination. i will need to try :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map