15 May 2009

Bank Hotel - Sumalee Thai, Newtown (14 May 2009)

324 King Street, Newtown NSW 2042
http://www.bankhotel.com.au



Tonight my first casual meetup with The Sydney Weblogger Meetup Group and 'Ratatouille' the mascot brings me to the Bank Hotel for conversation, drinks and bar food. I've heard many stories of the Bank Hotel in it's former glory and the amazing thai food lots of people raved about. But it seems after the beautiful renovations I've heard so many people complaining about how expensive it is now and the food not being as good as it used to be. I've never been before but the reviews on Eatability are very mixed with lots of people complaining about the price and food while others seeming to love the food.

I start my night off with the El Banko Royale cocktail which is very similiar to a Cosmopolitan. We stick to the bar menu tonight and there's a Mon-Thurs Mussels Deal of $10 including tap beer or house wine. Pretty good value considering a glass of wine is $6.50 although you only get a small bucket of them. By the time I decided to order the mussels the kitchen had run out but luckily I managed to sample one from someone else at our table and thought they were very large and yummy in the tomato and garlic sauce. I changed my order to the coconut prawns but service seemed to have forgotten my order and after waiting over 40 minutes and reminding them I managed to get them — unfortunately I thought the coconut batter overpowered the prawn and they didn't quite look like the ones you see in the menu. The wedges were crunchy and tasty though and didn't disappoint.

El Banko Royale: Absolut Mandarin, Triple Sec, Peach Schnapps, shaken well with ice and strained into a martini glass $9 (Menu didn't mention cranberry juice but I assume it's in it)

Mussels including tap beer or house wine $10

Potato wedges $7

Salt and pepper squid served with chips $15

Coconut prawns with dipping sauce $18

7 course Thai degustation with matching wines for $50 on tuesdays might be better value? My prawns didn't quite look like this ones though.


Ground floor bar and dining area

3 comments:

Catherine said...

The photos turned out nicely! :-)

Stephcookie said...

I've walked past this place a few times and wondered if it was any good. The $10 mussel deal sounds like pretty good value!

John B said...

I agree loved the old rough around the edges bank and also the old Sumalee the food seemed much better! The BEST thing about the old Sumalee was you were able to get lunch time special prices on the food! I used to be able to go in there and get myself a nice lunch on my own but now I need to take someone wit me or it is way too expensive. To be quite honest the Bank as a pub is very expensive and they increase the prices all night. Many of our friends used to hang out at the Old Bank and New Bank but have started to keep away as drink prices are too high, staff are obnoxious. The Courthouse is still good though and if it can keep its drink prices down will always be a hit !

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map