21 June 2009

Lucio Pizzeria, Darlinghurst (18 June 2009)

248 Palmer Street, Darlinghurst NSW 2010
Wed–Mon, 6–10 pm, Fully licensed, No BYO, No Booking



Naples style pizza in Sydney

After drinks at the new Pocket Bar a few friends and I were keen for dinner at Phamish but we arrived late to a closing kitchen. Wondering where we could go we noticed Lucio Pizzeria next door and thought pizza might be a safe beat of being OK. Little did we know that the genuine and humble Naples born owner Lucio had been voted No. 1 by TimeOut Sydney for his Naples style pizzas above Dimitri's, Pizza e Birra, Ventuno, Napoli in Bocca, Pizza Mario, La Disfida, Love Supreme, Rosso Pomodoro and Pompei's.

I chose the calamari fritti ($19) which was tender, tasty and cooked to perfection for me although for the price I was hoping they'd be a bit more on the plate to share. The thin soft base pizzas with one or a few different quality toppings reminded me of the pizzas I've eaten in Naples. My favourite tonight was the thin slivers of intense flavoured speck and fontina cheese combined with the delicious mozzarella.

The 2007 Bigi Orvieto Classico Superiore ($32/bottle) from Tuscany was light and refreshing and complimented our meal. Our friendly and professional waiter Frank made us feel very relaxed and welcomed and tempted us to try the chocolate tortina for dessert. Taking 10 minutes to bake it was well worth it and incredibly delicious — I'd definitely have again for it's smooth and rich tasting chocolate. The tiramisu ($10.50) was very good and had the right smoothness and texture but wished it had a bit more of the coffee and alcohol kick in it to make it even more spectacular. I look forward to trying their other pizzas and also the Italian classics of panna cotta and affogato to compare with others I've had.

Do you have a favourite pizza in Sydney?

Calamari Fritti: Shallow fried salt and pepper calamari rings $19
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Bufalina: Buffalo mozzarella, parmesan and fresh tomato $22

Filetto: Mozzarella, cherry tomato, rocket, prosciutto and shaved parmesan $20


Speck: Mozzarella, fontina cheese and speck $21
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)


Baked chocolate tortino $12.50
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Tiramisu $10.50

Decaf flat white $3.50

2007 Bigi Orvieto Classico Superiore (Tuscany) $32/bottle

Traditional wood fired oven



Menus


TimeOut Sydney top 10 pizza article


4 comments:

Mr. Taste said...

How was the Bufalina compared to the Speck? From the pics alone, I would be more inclined to order the Bufalina hehe

Forager said...

Interesting! Never heard of the place but I love my pizza so I'll definitely have to try it. Great review!

Renato said...

i must say I believe their Tirramisu is perfect for the very reason that it is not overloaded with alcohol, cream and subscribe to the philosophy of 'more is better'. In fact, it is the only Tirramisu I have ever had the pleasure of eating that is elegant and actually 'picks me up' vs bogs me down.

Simon Leong said...

hi mr taste, speck had more flavour so i'd go the speck

hi forager, hope you got to try it

hi renato, glad it's one of your favourite. one day i hope to revisit again.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map