29 April 2009

Malay-Chinese Takeaway, Sydney (29 April 2009)

Shop 1, 50-58 Hunter St, Sydney NSW 2000
http://www.malaychinese.com.au

Good Char Kway Teow

This popular lunch spot cooks up a decent Char Kway Teow and I'm hard pressed to find a better one in the city that has a similiar wok burntness to the noodles and the right balance of ingredients. If you arrive during the mayhem hours of lunchtime then expect to see queues of people waiting to be served or finding a seat.

Other visits to Malay-Chinese:
5 Nov 2009 - Assam Laksa
26 Oct 2009 - Seafood Laksa, Combination Clear Soup
6 August 2009 - Hainan Chicken Rice, Mee Siam
13 May 2009 - Chicken Laksa
29 April 2009 - Char Kway Teow
24 March 2009 - Har Mee, Seafood Laksa, Assam Laksa, Chicken Laksa

Other places tried for Char Kway Teow:
25 Jan 2012 - More More Cha (includes clams)
2 June 2010 - Wong Kee Fast Food
20 Jan 2010 - Yummy Cuisine
19 Oct 2009 - Sayong Curry & Laksa Malaysian Cuisine
2 Sept 2009 - Chili Hub
16 Aug 2009 - Albee's Kitchen
13 Aug 2009 - Jaya Malaysian
29 April 2009 - Malay-Chinese Takeaway
17 Nov 2008 - Little Singapore Restaurant
19 Oct 2008 - KL Kopitiam Malaysian Cuisine

Char Kway Teow $9
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Arrive during peak lunch times and you'll be challenged to find a seat

Arrive before 11.45 am or after 2 pm for a better chance of a seat




View Larger Map

8 comments:

billy@ATFT said...

I think I am overdue for another visit to MC soon.

Pearly Productions said...

Oooh! Looks great! I think I'll have to check it out.

I went to Mamak (http://www.mamak.com.au/) for the first time the other day. Have you been? What did you think?

xx

Scott and Elaine said...

Hi Simon, I've been following your blog for a few weeks now. I love your blog! I ate at the MC takeaway a few months ago when i was in sydney. It was really nice. Though I can't remember whether I tried the har mee. Anyway, as Pearly Productions says.. I would love to hear your review of the Mamak place, for next time I am in Sydney (might be a few years away). BTW, I am from Brisbane. And after your review of the Singapore Noodles, I went there on the weekend, and ended up having Mee Goreng. It was good, but not enough strong tomato flavour and they gave us lemon instead of lime. The Ais Kachang was fantastic. Just the way I like it. Not too many beans! I like it with lots of syrup and jelly and corn.

Simon Leong said...

hi billy, i look forward to your review when you visit and of course amazing photos

hi pearly productions, i've been to mamak about 3 times but have yet to blog about it. i do remember the plain roti bread being good because it was freshly made but not really any other dishes stood out to me as must have again. i've tried teh tarik, murtabak lamb, roti telur egg, roti bawang onion, roti canai, satay beef chicken, rojak, ais kacang, nasi lemak fish curry, squid, beans, cendol, mee goreng and nasi lemak chicken curry.

hi scott and elaine, thanks for reading my blog, it's really much appreciated. i hope to visit Little Singapore again in Brisbane. hopefully they'll have one in Sydney one day. I believe they now serve Popiah. it's hard to find a good one in Sydney.

Scott and Elaine said...

Hi Simon, I ordered the popiah, but they had run out of them for the day. So we ordered the Lobak instead which was equally as good. My cousin's grandma used to make really good lobak.

Miss Honey said...

I agree, the Char Kway Teow is excellent, this place is such a gem.

margie said...

Where's the best char kway teow inn sydney in your opinion? esp in cbd/inner west area?

Have you tried Kopitiam cafe on harris st,ultimo. My bf said the hainan chicken was ok, and i've had the nasi lemak (i liked) and char kway teow (i liked), but hard to know cos i had nothing to compare it to being my first try of it. This place seems to get pretty good reviews though. I'd be keen to know your thoughts. Also curious re Cafe Katsuri on George, Haymarket. I always go past but never tried.

Simon Leong said...

hi margie, i haven't been to Cafe Katsuri but think i should add to my wish list to try now. i've had the char kway teow at Kopitiam cafe but was in my pre-blogging day. was pretty good but perhaps give yummys a go http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2010/01/yummy-chinese-no-28-is-back-martin.html and sayong under woolworths to compare http://simonfoodfavourites.blogspot.com/2009/12/sayong-curry-laksa-malaysian-cuisine.html :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map