08 July 2009

Jimmy's Recipe Malaysia: Laksa, Sydney (7 July 2009)

The Galeries Victoria, Ground Floor
Shop RC16, 500 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000



Best Laksa in Sydney?

Advertising yourself as the best laksa in Sydney is a major call but we all know we have our favourites. My favourite has been the Malay-Chinese Takeaway on Hunter Street for many years although Jimmy's is probably up there amongst my top 5 in the city. The place is always popular and it's a lot easier finding a seat at The Galeries Victoria than their tiny Bridge Lane premises off Bridge Street or Malay-Chinese for that matter. They seem to have the quickest service I've come across — literally I sometimes get my bowl of laksa in less than a minute after ordering and paying for it. I'm quite keen on their seafood laksa which comes with mussels and seafood extender which falls apart beautifully. Well used looking bowls, hopefully clean, are a bit of a worry but the laksa broth certainly hits the spot on a cold winter day.

Other visits to Jimmy's Recipe Malaysia:
13 Jan 2010 - Ipoh Hor Fun, Seafood Kway Teow Siram
16 Oct 2009 - Seafood Laksa, Chicken Laksa
7 July 2009 - Seafood Laksa

Seafood laksa $8.20

Don't look too close at the bowls – I guess it adds to the flavour!

Menu – The Best In Sydney?

Inside and upstairs seating

Outside seating

Claims of the best laksa in Sydney – doesn't every place say the same thing?

12 comments:

YaYa said...

Nah, I've tried both and it has to be Malay-Chinese Takeaway for me!

Maxine said...

Simon, you rock! Our Google map has to many places on it, thanks to you. We might need to eat 8-12 meals a day to hit up all the places we want to try!

Keep eating!

Stephcookie said...

I haven't tried the laksa here yet, will have to give it a go sometime! To be honest most of the laksas I've tried in Sydney have had way too much coconut milk in them so I tend to avoid them.

Anita said...

I can see this being great for our weather at the moment. The service sounds fantastic too!

Anonymous said...

Oohh I still have yet to try Jimmy's though I keep hearing about it. Mine is still Malay-Chinese too :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Even though lots of places claim to have the best, I can't help but be lured! So how was it? Was it the best?

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Oriental Tucker Box on 101 George Stereet, Parramatta? They used to be in the food court in the Brand Smart building in Parramatta but they have now moved to their own premises on George Street. I would rate their laksa somewhere in between Jimmy's and Malay Chinese Takeaway. Here's a link about them http://parramatta-advertiser.whereilive.com.au/lifestyle/story/flavours-from-orient/

geoff said...

going there for chicken rice today..

Unknown said...

Very late comment but To's Malaysian Gourmet at North Sydney is pretty good.

Simon Leong said...

hi yaya, it's pretty much the best for me in town.

hi majl, happy eating too.

hi stephcookie, i just tried the Assam Laksa at malay chinese. no coconut but lots of fish and pineapple.

hi betty, i still need to revisit qvb for the laksa but their chicken rice and har mee was not good.

hi anita, service seems to always be so quick at jimmy's.

hi ffichiban, malay chinese is still no. 1 for me, jimmy's perhaps second.

hi lorraine, malay-chinese still the best.

hi sydneyfoodie, thanks for the tip. will keep on my list to try.

hi geoff, hope the chicken rice was ok but there's a better one down under woolies in the asian food court i think.

hi ben, i've tried To's beef rendang which was quite nice and tried the chicken laksa a while ago. i think malay-chinese broth still kicks a better punch for the broth :-)

Anonymous said...

the best laksa id ever had

Simon Leong said...

hi Anonymous, make sure you try Malay-Chinese on Hunter and let me know what you think :-)

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map