15 April 2010

Sushi e: Last week of $33 March Into Merivale Meals, Japanese, CBD Sydney (14 April 2010)

Level 4, 252 George Street, Sydney NSW 2000
http://www.merivale.com


Sushi without the train

This is the last week of the March Into Merivale $33 meal deals and I'm not exactly sure who sent me this March Into Merivale $33 voucher, but thank you, and today I chose Sushi e because I haven't been there before. I felt a little strange making a booking for one but once I arrived I was seated at one of the window tables in the corner which I was happy about because I then didn't stand out too much like a lonely 'no mates' diner. The restaurant is more suited to two or three people dining together so it's easy enough to eat their alone. I was kept company by the various pots of succulent plants. Chopsticks were disposable which at first took me by surprise as I would have thought such a classy and expensive place would have used real ones?

Sushi e has three menu choices and I remember liking the Spicy Salmon roll at the launch party so I chose the Dynamite roll (spicy tuna) inside out with nigiri selection of prawn, salmon, tuna, bonito, kingfish, snapper. I was hoping for a Sauvignon Blanc but the included white wine was Domaine Chandon Chardonnay 2008 which thankfully wasn't a heavily oaked one and was refreshing and light on the palate and complimented the sushi. To start the spinach goma ae salad was light and tasty with a fair amount of sesame seeds and I couldn't fault the miso soup. The dynamite roll was my favourite on the plate for texture and taste followed by the salmon which I always tend to enjoy over tuna and kingfish. I wasn't exactly sure which one was the bonito and snapper and got them confused with the white looking kingfish and orange looking salmon. To finish a Russian cream dessert was provided in a small shot glass with a spoon. It was very nice and like a light and smooth panna cotta with tasty strawberry coulis on top — not sure how a Russian dessert found it's way in a Japanese restaurant though.

The service was attentive and professional and seemed to make sure everyone was being looked after. I found the cushioned ottoman seats at the table a little too low for me which made them slightly uncomfortable when sitting for a while and I noticed if you sat at the tall seated bench it can be a little awkward to have enough room for your legs and to position them comfortably so perhaps keep this in mind.

Other visits to March Into Merivale:
14 April 2010 - Sushi e
12 March 2010 - est.

SNAPSHOT REVIEW:
PROS: Freshly made sushi, Attentive and professional service, Clean flavours and quality ingredients
CONS: More expensive than a regular sushi train, Wouldn't suit large groups wanting to sit together, Seating can be a little uncomfortable depending on your height and where you sit
MUST TRY: Dynamite roll (spicy tuna) inside out, Russian cream dessert (possibly not a menu item)

$33 March Into Merivale menu


Table setting

Disposable chopsticks

Spinach goma ae salad

Miso soup

Dynamite roll (spicy tuna) inside out, nigiri selection of prawn, salmon, tuna, bonito, kingfish, snapper with a spinach goma ae salad $33

Dynamite roll (spicy tuna) inside out
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Russian cream dessert
SIMON FAVOURITE :-)

Domaine Chandon Chardonnay 2008

Screened window looks onto buildings

Sushi e seating

Succulent plants on window edge

Hemesphere entrance – Level 4

$33 voucher


View Larger Map
Sushi E on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Angie Lives to Eat (and Cook)! said...

Didn't you just go there for lunch yesterday? You are too quick to post =p

I don't like dining alone either... but I am sure the plants were happy to have your company ;)

Mmmm sushi...

Phuoc'n Delicious said...

You know what? I sat in that very corner when I was there last time! :)

I was able to go out once for the Merivale $33 dinner and I went to Sushi-E with a friend. The food that we had was marvellous! I had the miso cod while my friend ordered the beek tataki (this dish simply melted in my mouth - I'm craving for it now)

Simon Leong said...

hi angie, i certainly did. i think i was tucked away out of sight enough to not feel too self conscious about being on my own :-)

hi phuoc, hehe that's funny. i reckon it's one of the better spots in the restaurant - i thought it had good feng shui :-) glad you enjoyed the food too.

Simon Food Favourites Map

View Simon Food Favourites in a larger map Key: BLUE - Location visit and review PINK - Simon Favourites and places offering something special

Small Bars in Sydney map


View Small Bars in Sydney in a larger map